Wednesday 5 June 2013

Happy World Environment day 2013: Think. Eat. Save.

"Oh today, I would love to eat this and that". My style of cooking starts with imagining the foods, neglecting the goods and ingredients that readily available in the freezer. I cook what I wish to eat, not what I should eat. After more than a year being a housewife, I just realized that I was totally wrong in managing household groceries. I should check the freezer and kitchen, what's stored in there. Maybe there's left over or goods that I can used to cook. Instead of buying new goods, I should make sure that none will end up in the garbage.

Image from here.

A little information on World Environment day. World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5 June to raise global awareness of the need to take positive environmental action. It is run under the wings of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). This year’s campaign theme "Think. Eat. Save" rallies us to take action from our home to reduce food waste, save money, and minimize the environmental impact of food production. If food is wasted, it means that all the resources and inputs used in the production of all the food are also lost. For example, it takes about 1,000 liters of water to produce 1 liter of milk and about 16,000 liters goes into a cow’s food to make a hamburger. The resulting greenhouse gas emissions from the cows themselves, and throughout the food supply chain, all end up in vain when we waste food. In fact, the global food production occupies 25% of all habitable land and is responsible for 70% of fresh water consumption, 80% of deforestation, and 30% of greenhouse gas emissions. It is the largest single driver of biodiversity loss and land-use change (UNEP, 2013).

In celebrating the World environment day today, I pledge to change my current eating lifestyle. So THINK before we EAT and help SAVE our environment! Happy world environment day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment